Read My English Soccer Newsletter, The Groundhopper
Every couple of weeks, I knock out an issue of my newsletter, The Groundhopper. Each one is a summary of stuff from my website; "Meet a New Club"; a Video of the Week; and the occasional hidden treat.
It's completely free, and you can bail out any time.
Subscribe and read past issues below.
Bonus: My "Starting 11"
When you sign up for my newsletter, you'll get my “Starting 11” of things that will help you begin your groundhopping adventures – to teach you a bit, to get you excited, and to help you know what is involved in being a proper groundhopper.
- Issue #1 -- February 8, 2017: An Introduction to the book, project, and website
- Issue #2 -- March 2, 2017: Reports from my current tour, plus a new "Meet a Club" feature.
- Issue #3 -- March 9, 2017: All about the FA Cup, meet Bristol Rovers, and trip reports from my latest tour
- Issue #4 -- March 27, 2017: Costs of English soccer travel; meet Brighton and Hove Albion; enjoy the first "reader report"
- Issue #5 -- April 10, 2017: Promotion and relegation; Huddersfield Town; England vs MLS; non-soccer travel
- Issue #6 -- April 28, 2017: The importance of making the top four; meet Newcastle United FC; my other website
- Issue #7 -- May 8, 2017: The madness of the Last Day; Yes, England has playoffs; Meet Burton Albion FC
- Issue #8 -- May 26, 2017: The Richest Game in Football; Wembley Stadium; Meet Stevenage FC
- Issue #9 -- June 9, 2017: English Teams in the USA; Summer Soccer in England; Meet Swansea City FC
- Issue #10 -- June 23, 2017: The 2017-18 Schedule is Out! Making Holiday Travel Plans; Meet Reading FC
- Issue #11 -- July 14, 2017: All About Derbies; Getting Tickets; Meet Norwich City FC
- Issue #12 -- July 27, 2017: Loving the Lower Leagues; Meet Brentford FC; "One Greedy Bastard"
- Issue #13 -- August 12, 2017: A Tour of Stadium Tours; Meet Burnley FC; Stand on the sideline at Chelsea FC
- Issue #14: September 10, 2017: Reader Reports; Meet Queens Park Ranges; When the Spurs Go Marching In
- Issue #15: September 27, 2017: Part 1 of a report from my recent tour, including trips to Oxford United, Bournemouth and Portsmouth
- Issue #16: October 9, 2017: Wrapping up my recent tour, including how I made a sensation in Sheffield and met an all-vegan club in the Cotswolds.
- Issue #17: November 28, 2017: Getting tickets for the big-time Premier League clubs; meet Wolverhampton Wanderers; more "Reader Reports"
- Issue #18: December 15, 2017: Staying safe at games; where to sit; an introduction to the Checkatrade Trophy; Brighton fans lose it at Fulham.
- Issue #19: January 7, 2018: Trip Report Part 1, including trips to Millwall, Leeds, and Cambridge. Also: linguistic adventures!
- Issue #20: January 17, 2018: Trip Report Part 2, with an FA Cup Merseyside Derby. Also: Spring break soccer plans and buying away tickets.
- Issue #21: January 27, 2018: Trip wrap-up; disappointing derby, forgettable final game. Also: StubHub and the Champions League.
- Issue #22: February 16, 2018: History and Linguistics Lesson; Chelsea VIP Seating; The "Ladies" Game: How to Read a Referee.
- Issue #23: March 1, 2018: A new name for the book and project; Great Escapes and the 40-point line.
- Issue #24: March 14, 2018: The Europa League and USA vs England
- Issue #25: March 29, 2018: March 29, 2018: Inside my book, which is now for sale.
- Issue #26: April 20, 2018: A brief Italian diversion; get to know Wigan Athletic; making Manchester your base
- Issue #27: May 4, 2018: An invitation to my first-ever English soccer tour; next year's schedule; buying tickets to Manchester United
- Issue #28: May 21, 2018: Finals Week in the Football League playoffs; meet Aston Villa; books for sale; tour scheduled.
- Issue #29: June 8, 2018: A Peak at My Book, The Groundhopper's Guide to Soccer in England; walk the tunnel at Old Trafford.
- Special Issue: June 17, 2018: A Quick Look at the Premier League Schedule
- Issue #30: July 11, 2018: The 2018-19 schedule in English soccer; meet Cardiff City FC; pregame singing at Portsmouth FC.
- Issue #31: August 11, 2018: All about hospitality packages; meet Blackburn Rovers FC; update on my English soccer tour
- Issue #32: August 28, 2018: A book and tour update; meet West Bromwich Albion; more on hospitality; a flight over central London
- Issue #33: September 20, 2018: Book for sale, catching up on blog posts.
- Issue #34: October 22, 2018: Holiday schedule all set, Groundhop 1 basically all set, and learn a bit about non-league football.
- Issue #35: November 1, 2018: Report from England, changes to Groundhop 1, England vs USA.
- Issue #36: November 20, 2018: Forget the Top Six, Leeds celebrations, Everton hospitality.
- Issue #37: December 5, 2018: Talking tickets, saying hello to Southampton FC, FA Cup Third Round
- Issue #38: December 23, 2018: The company turns two, off on another trip, top soccer links.
- Issue #39: January 11, 2019: Visits to Dulwich Hamlet FC and Southampton FC; introducing Groundhop 2
- Issue #40: January 25, 2019: The FA Cup on ESPN+, the madness of Liverpool tickets, and my hospitality options at Crystal Palace
- Issue #41: February 10, 2019: A new name for the newsletter; Wembley seating options; Liverpool-themed tour.
- Issue #42: February 26, 2019: The Planning Issue; Meet Leyton Orient FC; Liverpool Hospitality
- Issue #43: March 11, 2019: Spurs' New Stadium; Coventry City FC; Travel Costs
- Issue #44: March 29, 2019: Yorkshire Cometh; FA Cup Semifinals; the Taylor Report
- Issue #45: April 15, 2019: The 2019-20 Book is on Presale; Leeds fans sing "Marching on Together"; visit the old Arsenal Stadium